Monday, April 28, 2008

The Dress!

(Back away slowly and calmly Mr. Pineapple and no one will get hurt.)

As I explained earlier my bridesmaids and mother live all over the east coast. This made me the saddest when thinking about gown shopping. I am lucky to have amazing friends and family who flew all the way to frozen Pittsburgh in late February to help me find my gown. Poor Mr. Pineapple had to survive a weekend with 6 girls, my father and himself in a 2 bedroom apartment. Since everyone was only going to be here for one weekend, I wanted to make it count.

I heard some bad things about David's Bridal, but really wanted it to work. They are such a huge business and have so many stores how could they be that bad? The woman helping me out was so patient and kind. She let everyone shoot many many photos of each dress and didn't mind a bit that I brought so many girls along. I had a back-up appointment about an hour away just in case, but I didn't need it!

My only requirements were 1) it fits, 2) I feel pretty and 3) my boobage is kept under control.
Here is the dress shopping adventure.

I really loved the waistline of this dress, it made me feel super skinny! However, this particular beading looked a little cheap or something. Now looking at the photos it is a bit too booby too.

This dress did not meet requirement number three, too much boobage.

I loved this dress, well the idea of this dress. Once I had it on it did this weird gap thing below the waist, very disappointing.

This was my least favorite of all the gowns. It definitely did not make me feel "pretty." The waist was really wide. Drop waist + curves = bad news bears. You can see me trying to make myself skinny in the left shot...didn't work.

This was my favorite from pictures on the web. However, I am not built like the model in the photos and I didn't want to get my hopes up. It was also the most expensive dress I had planned on trying on, so in the back of my head I was almost hoping I wouldn't like it on.

Then, once I had it on I loved it! I loved the color, I loved the ruffles! This dress was a size too big which threw me off a bit, but once it was clipped tighter I loved everything about it!

As soon as I put this gown on I said "Um, what is this made of? It's crunchy." It was also shiny and not very pretty. Not a winner.

I also really loved this dress on. The halter top kept me in place and was flattering. Other than that there really wasn't anything special or unique about it. It was still in the top two of the day. Also, after looking at is in the photos, I'm not impressed.

Now this dress my maids and Mom Pineapple picked out as a joke. They picked the biggest (and heaviest!) dress in the store. I was completely lost in it. Oh the poof! It even stood up on its own without anyone inside it!

Trying on all the gowns still felt somewhat surreal. Like I was trying on costumes for a play. Until, the veil and headpiece. As soon as she put them on me I turned completely red all over and had to fight back tears. The dress looked so different with the accessories. The veil is perfect, slightly girly, slightly vintagey. At first I was anti-headpiece, but this one was perfect for me- champagne and ivory pearls.

The final choice! So, the most expensive gown won, but it was on sale and ended up being about $150 more than the others and I loved it more than a $150 more.

Anyone else find THE dress on their first try (in less than and hour and fifteen minutes for that matter)?

No comments: