Monday, April 14, 2008

Invitation Concepts

You might think that being a graphic designer would make the invitation design a breeze. Unfortunately, it probably makes it harder. The invites are something that most brides create or purchase in the last 6 months of planning, but nope, not Miss Pineapple. I had so many ideas before I decided on our final concept. Even before we thought about color I was thinking about typefaces. In my world the design sets the tone for the entire event, rather than being an afterthought that fits the mood already created. I'll share with you my top five favorite concepts before revealing the final final later on. The names and locations are fictional to protect the "innocent," and of course I didn't want to blur the lovely letters.

Here is one of my first designs: The Perfect Pair

This is how the invitation would look when the guest first takes it out of the envelope. There is a green paper band in the center covering the details.

and once the band is removed:
I always assumed that I would be a "modern" bride. Once I started playing with designs I was torn between modern and tradition. I wanted to strike a balance somewhere in between. Here is one that is definitely more on the modern side with a trendy palette and bold graphics.
The bow above our names would be made from a modern low profile satin ribbon.
The third idea has more of a focus on our monogram.
The little polka dots remind me of a string of pearls (that hopefully I will be wearing for my wedding). It's modern, but distinctly a wedding invitation. While playing around with dots and polka dots many of my ideas looked more like birthday party invites.


I love the preppy look of argyle, but wanted it to have a little hint of romance. So I made the stitches out of little hearts. You can see a close of view of the stitches to the right of the invite. I also love the bold colors, but was afraid they would not fit our particular venue.

Last, but not least, the birds.
I almost wish I had gone with this concept. I love this simple and sweet exchange. Birds are definitely big these days and have been for a few years. And for good reason, who doesn't love to be reminded that it is finally spring by hearing birds sing? These colors are distinctly fall and a bit 1970s.

Did anyone else start with the details?

No comments: